Theelen House is located in a former canon house. These residences formed a separate neighbourhood in the city until the end of the 18th century and accommodated the canons who ran the chapter of the Basilica of Our Lady. Founder-publisher Nicolaas Theelen had his printing business here and published Het Algemeen Belang der Provincie Limburg, the precursor of the newspaper Het Belang van Limburg, between 1890 and 1918.
A small part of the original canon house has survived to this very day. Weve called it Theelen House.
Theelen House contains a (small) museum about the history of Het Belang van Limburg and the Theelen and Baert families. The museum is not accessible to individual visitors but the façade offers a good view of the inside.